Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A New Challenge for Me (Play Date Cafe)

By Krissy Clark McKee
Well you know how much I love sketch challenges, but today I decided to s-t-r-e-t-c-h my gray matter a little and try something different.  What did I try?  I found a new site (through my newest obsession Twitter) called THE PLAY DATE CAFE, and they post a new color challenge every Thursday.  When I saw this week's colors, I couldn't resist and had to play along - see...


Bubblegum, Tangerine, and Pear - who could resist???  Not me!  So I pulled out my (ever-growing stash) of my AMERICAN CRAFT papers (along with one teeny tiny piece of Jillibean Soup because it was just the right pear-ish color), and I spent the next few hours happily cutting, gluing, and inking.
 
I did add some darker shades of green and orange as accents, which I think is okay as far as the challenge because the bubblegum, tangerine, and pear colors still retain the focus.  And - even if I failed the challenge - I LOVE my layout!
 
I had waaaaay too much fun playing with the different layers I created on this layout.  I inked my pages with similar colors of ink, but then I sewed (and doodled) on them using contrasting colors of thread.  That's right, I partied hard with my sewing machine and things got a little out of control - oh yeah. Here are a few close-ups.

 
I took a "chicken wire" mask and quickly (and messily) inked over it in several colors.  I like the way it connected the main grouping of papers to the small cluster of flowers at the top of the page. 
 
 
Another small cluster by my title just to add balance and, of course, dooding on everything that wasn't already stitched. 
 
That's it for me tonight - I've got a hot date with Pinterest before beddy-bye time.  Hope you liked my layout and hope it has inspired you to try a color challenge yourself. 
 
Unti next time, happy scrapping!

9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous layout - I LOVE it!! So glad you found us. I hope you'll be back next week during our 3rd Anniversary celebration! Thanks for playing at The Play Date Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful layout and a fabulous interpretation using our colors over in The Cafe. We are thrilled that you found our challenge and hope you will join us for our 3rd Anniversary celebration coming this Thursday! GREAT to have you with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic LO! All the layering you did with the stamping and papers is fantastic. Thanks for joining us at The Play Date Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad to see a scrapbooker!! Love all the layering. Thanks for playing with us at the PDCC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Playdate Cafe....awesome job on the LO...that pic makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your layout...delish layers of goodness! Thanks so much for joining us at The Play Date Cafe:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! Love the stitching and doodling. So glad you found us through twitter! Thanks for joining us in the play date cafe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous! All the layering and details are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on making the Top 4 at The PDCC last week!! We're so glad you found us and hope you'll be back soon!!

    ReplyDelete