Sunday, July 8, 2012

My Improvised Heidi Swapp Memory File

I was sitting around the house yesterday morning, feeling to urge to create a mini-album using a few of the several hundred pics I took on our recent vacation.  But I wanted to do something a little different.  I had seen Heidi Swapp's Memory File system online and loved the concept, but I had never seen the actual file folders in my favorite scrapbooking store (I really need to have a chat with whoever orders the merchandise there!).  "That's fine," I said to myself, "I'll improvise."  And that's exactly what I did.  First, I found a (rather beat up) blue file folder that I had previously used to bring home work documents. Then, I dusted off my Silhouette and pulled out my Echo Park Paradise Beach Papers, my paint, my markers, and different bits and pieces from about 20 different manufacturers.

The concept of the Memory File is pretty easy.  It's an alternative to a mini-album in that you can create small flip albums or pocket folders to hold a collection of pictures and journaling (always important to me).  When opened, my memory file album looks like this:



The stickers included in the Paradise Beach paper pack made it super quick and easy for me to create this little cluster:


I created a pocket behind my main picture by sewing the paper I used for matting my picture to the paper cut out in the shape of the file folder.  The pocket was sewn on before the file-folder shaped paper was glued down to the folder.  It was the perfect size for holding extra journaling and a tag!



My flip album was super easy to make.  I started by cutting out four of Lori Whitlock's mini-album shapes.  Then I layered them along the back of the folder starting from the bottom and working my way up.  They are perfect for adding smaller photos, or even hidden photos or personal journaling that you may not want everyone else to see.  For me, it just means I can add one extra thing. Ha!


I used the "second page" to add even more journaling about our road trip to Florida, along with a few little pictures taken with my phone.  These are pictures that may not have normally made it into a mini-album or onto a layout, but I had plenty of room here!


I loved using my Silhouette Cameo and Lori Whitlock's adorable files to create this little car!  (Note: I also used Lori's files to create the palm trees and the sun on the front of my Memory File.) To add extra dimension, I created the tires from black buttons and circle-punched pieces.  I then added a Heidi Swapp journaling tag so that I could squeeze in just a little more additional journaling!  


That's it for today.  Before I sign off, I wanted to ask, is this something you would like to see a video tutorial for?  I could definitely see making more of these, so let me know!

4 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea!! Beautiful work! I'd love to see a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible and I too, would love to see a tutorial! This rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beachy and fun! Great alternative to a mini album

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW I love your mini album. So super cute.

    ReplyDelete