Monday, February 24, 2014

Luck O' the Irish


There's a quick little story behind this project.  Someone asked in one of the forums I read if we took lots of pictures of our family members or loved ones on Valentine's Day or if we made any Valentine-themed projects.  I didn't, and that made me feel a little sad because I wanted to.  I meant to.  But time just slipped away and Valentine's Day was over before you know it.  So - I looked on my calendar to see what the next holiday would be, and I saw St. Patrick's Day.  

Believe it or not, I'm Irish.  Well, my great-grandparents were.  I've even been to Ireland where I kissed the Blarney Stone!  So I thought this would be the PERFECT holiday to prepare for.  I am getting a jump on it and have already started creating my holiday decor.  And I have pictures in mind and WILL be taking them on St. Patty's Day (no matter how much my kids moan and groan about it)!

I've got to tell you, I am LOVING my wall decor:


Here's why I love it so much (besides the fact that it is pretty darned cute!):

1.  I upcycled an old wooden planked piece of wall decor that was destined for the trash pile because it was tired, old, and broken; and

2.  I challenged myself to use fabric and paper on my project.  Each wood plank is covered in brown polka-dotted fabric that I sprayed adhesive to.  I also used burlap remnants that had been sitting around forever on my four-leaf clover; and

3.  I scrapped my stash.  I used papers from my outrageously large Fancy Pants stash.  The papers on my wall hanging are mainly from the Road Show Collection.  Yes, they are that old!  I loved that collection so much I just kept buying it.  It's finally time to use it up and make way for something newer.

To add even more texture to my four leaf clover, I glued a lot of buttons to one of the burlap sections:


The hat and jar/cup decoration were cut out using my Silhouette.  I used primarily the Fancy Pants Park Bench Collection for these.  They were quick little projects but cute nonetheless!  

This little hat could be used as a cupcake holder, a party hat, or the cover to a jar full of goodies.  Isn't it adorable?


That's it for me this fine Monday.  As they say in Ireland - Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment